Some time ago I came saw a discussion about which actors should play the main character in a live-action movie of a particular comic series. I don’t remember what triggered this discussion, and I don’t remember what comic series they were talking about. But I think it’s a cool game to play, to think about how a comic you like might be cast for live action movie or television.
I invite you to join me in casting some of my favorite webcomics, all of which have been mentioned in previous post on Provocative Praise. I will look at each webcomic in a separate post (hopefully interspersed by posts about other topics; I don’t want to become too predictable). Let’s have some fun!
I’ll start with Opportunities, which would be best adapted as a TV show rather than a movie.
I’d give it an unconventional narrative structure:
Remember, the webcomic starts with a four-page teaser that goes in medias res with full-blown action before the story rolls back four days and starts building up tension gradually.
In the TV show, with a first season of 13 episodes, the first twelve episodes tell the story starting from four days back, but the teaser of each episode, if spliced together, tell the in medias res action, and at the end of episode twelve the back storyline finally joins the teaser storyline, making episode thirteen an action-packed finale that resolves everything.
The main challenge of this structure is the arrangement of the episode teasers. Each one needs to have some meaning for the corresponding episode, the sequence of the teasers must form a coherent narrative, and the teasers must not reveal too much, compared to the progress of the episodes up to that point.
Now for the cast:
I list roles with the actor names, to indicate which look and acting style I consider fit for the character. I try not to go to far back in time, but every movie or TV show from the 21st century is fair game, and actors can change a lot in 15 years. With alien characters, I distinguish between casting Rubber Forehead Aliens and Voice Actors. The former are aliens that would actually be played by actors, like Yondu or Thanos, and the latter are aliens were only the actors voice is used, like Rocket and Groot. [I don’t care about technicalities like whether motion capture is used etc.]
- Sara Emmet: Carla Gugino (Dr. Molly Caffrey in Threshold)
- Jack Frost: Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad)
- Baron: Neil Patrick Harris (Barney Stintson in How I Met Your Mother)
- Dr. Irving Stone: Chris Noth (Peter Florick in The Good Wife)
- Irene Vanderwitt-Fitzwilliam: Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhard in The Good Wife)
- George Fitzwilliam: Colin Firth (Harry “Galahad” Hart in Kingsman)
- Collin Parish: Bob Saget ( Theodore „Ted“ Evelyn Mosby in How I Met Your Mother)
- Cortez: HTF do you cast Cortez? I drew a blank here. Please suggets a suitable actor!
- Kyan – Rubber Forehead Alien: Cote de Pablo (Ziva David in NCIS)
- Rex – Rubber Forehead Alien: Michael Weatherly (Tony Dinnozzo in NCIS)
- Nate – Rubber Forehead Alien: Sean Murray (Timothy McGee in NCIS)
- Atticus – Voice Actor: Bryan Cranston (Walter “Heisenberg” White in Breaking Bad)
- Vigi – Voice Actor: Pauley Perrette (Abigail “Abby” Sciuto in NCIS)
- The Janitor – Voice Actor: Alan Tudyk (“Wash” in Firefly)
- Tath Seti – Voice Actor: Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Frings in Breaking Bad)
Do you agree or disagree with my choices? Do you haver other sugestions? Do you have favorite casting choices for other webcomics? Tell us in the comments!